INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Moving to Mexico, What to bring, what to leave?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Moving to Mexico, What to bring, what to leave?

Post by gringal on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:57 pm

ronworf911 wrote:I tend to agree with many of the responders when they say to come lightly packed. I did the opposite and regretted it all the way down. I brought my truck and a 6X12 cargo trailer that was/is packed full of everything I thought I'd need. The road down was horrendous with tire swallowing potholes and unmarked speed bumps everywhere, and it seemed that no matter what I was always going uphill. Once I got to the Lake Chapala area I had to contend with extremely narrow streets and hills with cobblestone streets, big dips, big potholes etc... . I found the perfect house, and it turned out it's full of nearly everything I would have needed, so now I have a cargo trailer full of things that I don't know what to do with. I've already given the gardeners family two huge boxes of things, but I'm only about 1/3rd the way through unpacking. I really wish I would have just brought my tools, clothes, extra shoes, music/movies, good pots/pans/dishes/dinnerware, and memorabilia. At some point I'll likely be trying to sell off a bunch of stuff here.

Here's a possibility for you: We've been downsizing from once having enough tools to totally remodel a house to having the locals do the work. (Gettin' tired, y'know.) There is a charitable organization called "Mr. Hammer" located on the main road next door to S&S Auto and near Puritan Poultry in the Riberas/San Antonio area. Mountain Side.

They have a program to teach young people how to do carpentry and other useful skills and they have a store next door called "Todo Bueno" where they take anything you can think of, from tools to home decor and sell it for you on consignment. They take 30%. We've been getting rid of tools, furniture, cameras and endless miscellany we don't need and hoping the sales do some good for the community, too. Hope that helps.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:11 pm

Isn't Todo Bueno an Anglican Church endeavor and not Mr. Hammer?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:44 pm

They have a thrift store next to them and it is called Have Hammer not Mr. Hammer.

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:07 pm

CanuckBob wrote:They have a thrift store next to them and it is called Have Hammer not Mr. Hammer.

It was originally called "Have Hammer, will travel" but at some point they changed the name. I don't know of any Anglican Church connection. Could be?
In any case, that thrift store is quite large and is a real going operation.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:49 am

slainte39 wrote:Isn't Todo Bueno an Anglican Church endeavor and not Mr. Hammer?

Yep. Anglican Church is the beneficiary of Todo Bueno.
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:48 am

When the thrift store opened it was a joint effort of Mr. Hammer and St. Andrew's. The church also collects items and their volunteers staff the store. Both organizations share in the profits. That is how it was. I do not know if it has changed.
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:22 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:When the thrift store opened it was a joint effort of Mr. Hammer and St. Andrew's. The church also collects items and their volunteers staff the store. Both organizations share in the profits. That is how it was. I do not know if it has changed.

Since we've been bringing in and having sales from them regularly lately, my husband now knows one of the people staffing it and I'll ask him to find out what the current situation is. It really doesn't matter to me. I'm not a church goer, but I'm aware that most of them do there fair share of charity.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Just got the answer from Harry on TOB: It's associated with the Rotary club.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob on Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:18 pm

So is it Have Hammer or Mr. Hammer........inquiring minds want to know.

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:39 pm

CanuckBob wrote:So is it Have Hammer or Mr. Hammer........inquiring minds want to know.

The thrift shop is "Todo Bueno". The education program used to be "Have hammers, will travel" but it seems to have been changed to just "Mr. Hammer"at some point.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:04 pm

According to TOB the Have/Mr. Hammer program is SPONSORED by the Rotary Club among many others. The original question was if the thrift store benefits Have/Mr. Hammer and/or the Anglican Church. Actually the original question was what to bring when moving to Mexico, but one of the original sidetrack questions was about Todo Bueno thrift store.
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:55 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:According to TOB the Have/Mr. Hammer program is SPONSORED by the Rotary Club among many others. The original question was if the thrift store benefits Have/Mr. Hammer and/or the Anglican Church. Actually the original question was what to bring when moving to Mexico, but one of the original sidetrack questions was about Todo Bueno thrift store.

Thread wander, no wonder there. Personally, I can't see why the sponsorship of the store matters, since the point was advising the OP on getting rid of excess stuff.......but maybe it's important to some.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Maybe it's important to some or once the question is raised some just wonder about it, and others just like to keep the record straight. I confess to being a member of the last group. Once the topic is raised I want to know which it is.
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:32 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Maybe it's important to some or once the question is raised some just wonder about it, and others just like to keep the record straight. I confess to being a member of the last group. Once the topic is raised I want to know which it is.

Okay, nosey Rosie.....I'll try to keep Y'all happy
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3