INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Hospital

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hospital

Post by ferret on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Normal platelet count is 150,000 to 450,000 per cubic mm. Used to have a friend whose count was 45,000 and after everyone panicked, she went back to living her very "normal for her" life.
So, what's yours Chillin'? Also curious as to why you're being given an epidural for a hernia operation?
You don't have to answer... just putting questions out there that you may like to ask your Surgeon for the answers.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Slainte, are you symptomatic???

Agree with Ferret. My blood work is alarming too. White cells alarmingly low since I first noticed in 1991. I am completely asymptomatic. No infections, never get sick, nada. Red cells low and platelets low as well. Doc said "Meh."
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Love that expression... "Meh". My blood work is dead centre down the middle of normal for everything. My body is a structural nightmare. Go figure. Meh.
My hubby always always had red cells in his urine. Never could figure out why (over the course of 30 years) and the Doctors always said "Meh".
We are all unique.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Slainte, are you symptomatic???

Agree with Ferret. My blood work is alarming too. White cells alarmingly low since I first noticed in 1991. I am completely asymptomatic. No infections, never get sick, nada. Red cells low and platelets low as well. Doc said "Meh."

In answer to your question....nope.
If I hadn't had a routine blood test, I wouldn't even know it, but the dr(s). say it's not good to not try and keep it down, so I'm just following their advice. Playing the game by their rules.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Slainte39, your post jogged a memory that I had to go search for... unfortunately, you are not really of an age where you can do this.

http://www.universityhealthsystem.com/services/blood-donor/platelet-donation

I sincerely hope that you are getting your platelets checked at least once a month.
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm

The oncologist who worked me up for cancer, and found none, said he was going to follow me with "benign neglect".
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:44 pm

I'd like to label every single Doctor I've ever been to with "benign neglect". That's why I haven't been to one in over 25 years. Western Medicine is good for stuff that is in their face. If they can't see, it doesn't exist and must be in your head.
Advocate for yourself and ask a LOT of questions which must be answered to your satisfaction.
Salud!
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:34 pm

ferret wrote:Slainte39, your post jogged a memory that I had to go search for... unfortunately, you are not really of an age where you can do this.

http://www.universityhealthsystem.com/services/blood-donor/platelet-donation

I sincerely hope that you are getting your platelets checked at least once a month.

That's the program right now....blood tests every month along with the medicine Hydrea and one baby aspirin every day. Seems to be working and the Drs. are satisfied.  Me?...I don't feel an different than before or after the discovered high platelet count.
I would gladly donate those excess platelets to any body that wants them, but (sigh), to old for that. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:21 am

Good luck, Slainte, hope you get the numbers into a better range and your docs are happy.
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Commercial lab blood tests apparently differ from under the microscope counts from a smear. My lab tests are typically 60 - 70, but under the scope they are/were 80. The anesthotologist won't touch me unless I'm 150. I told him I'm Canadian, I don't need painkillers and gas for surgery. He didn't seem to believe that. The surgeon said I could have went in to Union Hospital in Guadalajara and got Tier III gas mixture and surgery, but someone convinced me that was more dangerous than epidermal.
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Anything going into your spine, like an epidural, has a much higher risk factor than a general anaesthetic. Please don't do it.
And counts done manually under a microscope on a smear are "approximate". Counts done manually under a microscope using a Neubauer Chamber are just as accurate as an analyzer. The difference between the two is that a human knows what a platelet looks like and an analyzer does not... the analyzer is counting anything that is the same approximate size as a platelet. It really doesn't matter what is used as long as quality control samples are done with every run.
I assume that you have had other clotting tests done? Prothrombin time, Partial Thromboplastin time, clotting time, bleeding time? They are important too.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalamed on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:20 pm

I thought this THREAD/POST was about a "HOSPITAL" ?
Chapalamed
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Chapalamed wrote:I thought this THREAD/POST was about a "HOSPITAL" ?

Well, it was, but now it is not. Stuff happens. You have to be flexible.
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:22 am

Yup. It's called a conversation.
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down