INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Sometimes life sucks

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sometimes life sucks

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:11 pm

I lost one dog (Brenda Sue) in January and now Barney Bear does not seem to want to live in Mexico. He has lost 1 5th of his weight already in a little over a month. (45 pounds)
It really hard watching your last dog die!

Back to top Go down

Re: Sometimes life sucks

Post by quiltbugj on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:34 pm

I am so sorry - I hope he does not suffer.
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:53 pm

I'm so sorry! I imagine you've already had him in for tests? How old is he?
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:36 am

I am so sorry for his failure to thrive. Have you tried one of the excellent vet's in Guad? Not slamming the ones here but they often have newer testing equipment. I hope he recovers soon, it is heartbreaking to go through this.
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:11 am

I take Barney to the animal hospital in Guad. (I'm still living here Grizzy).

Barney is 7 years old and there has been a lot of changes in the past few months for him. The vet put him on vitamins and Science Diet dog food but it doesn't help if he don't eat.

On the way down Barney got Kennel cough (Bordetella) and that has been hard on him to get rid of. I even tried cooking a chicken to feed him and he barley touches it.

Today Vela was able to get Barney to eat two cans of dog food, that's great but it's still 8 pounds less that he should eat.

I think that he is tired of me giving him his pills all the time so he just refuses to eat anything I try to give him.

Maybe having Vela feed him will work, I'm hoping.

Barney has always been a fat dog but right now I can see his spine and ribs. He looks like a street dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:17 am

get him a girlfriend.... that might lift his spirits....

hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:40 am

Well, don't give up.
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:44 am

You lost your other dog....could he be in mourning?
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:13 am

Sorry to hear your companion is so sick and hope for a complete recovery. That is one very special dog you've raised and he deserves a long life.
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:36 am

God, that is awful. I'm still in mourning for our dearest girl who died in June. It is a truly horrible thing watching them get ready to leave you. There are no words of consolation.
Best of luck, maybe something miraculous will happen and he'll pull through, as long as there is life there is hope.

BTW, does Barney like peanut butter? Our girl loved it, so giving her pills was nooo problem, it was a special treat. Mention time for a pill, and she was in the kitchen in a nanosecond, even with arthritis. Worth a try.
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:55 am

I'm facing this in the near future too, it's just so hard.

Sounds like you're doing everything right, just keep trying to get him to eat. Did the vet have a diagnosis? Does the vet know WHY he is refusing to eat?
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:31 pm

The only suggestion I can offer is to have several brands and flavours of canned dog food and maybe some cooked meat in broth (not much spices just the meat and bones and water) and have Vela try to feed him every hour or so.
As you know, I moved here with my elderly, sick cat and have to feed, medicate, IV and pill him numerous times a day and it is heartbreaking to see them fade away.

The peanut butter is a good idea, as is wrapping a piece of cheese around the pill. I have some pill pockets that are soft pliable treats you put the meds inside and my cat loves them. I think I have some doggie ones and chicken or salmon flavor. You are welcome to some if it will help and if Barney will eat them willingly.
Poor baby, I hope he recovers fast.

Edited to add that my cat is supposed to be on the Science Diet Renal food only but he won't eat it so he gets whatever he will eat within reason. I try to mix a bit of the SD food in with his fancy feast but it is more important that they eat. Treat the dog not just the disease. If he is losing that much weight feed him anything and everything he will eat. Something I learned is during the heat of the day my cat won't eat much but overnight he is a little food machine. I put a bowl of canned food by the bed overnight and often wake up in the middle of the night to replenish his food. Barney might be reacting to the unusual to him heat and that could affect his appetite. Is he drinking water?
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Competition sometimes is great for appetite. If you could have a critter with a big appetite there...it might help. Offer the treat to your boy...if he refuses..give it to the other dog. May not work..but it's worth a try. Little ones are usually picky.. (I have three)BUT if there's more than one, it often perks up their appetites.
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by camillenparadise on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:17 pm

Have you tried cooking a bit of liver to offer him? Just the mention of it drives SweetPea wild....best of luck to you!

camillenparadise

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:55 pm

It's unfortunate and unfair but seven years is a ripe old age for the really big dogs. I hope for the best for Bear, his family and his friends.

George
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:10 pm

What is he?
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:51 pm

Try RAW meat and bones. No cooked. Raw bones are very good for a giant breed dog. Make sure he has kennel cough and not canine pneumonia. And take him to Dr Luz in Guad. 33 11 88 22 23 She is the best.

Crossed paws for a full recovery
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor "poncho" Armstrong on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:06 pm

im really sorry to hear about your dog, we lost our basset hound here also, and its tough to see them sick. I hope he turns around, and you find out whats wrong with him.
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : sarcastic s.o.b

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:33 am

I'm very sorry to hear about Bear. My best to you both.
The following has helped me with aging dogs ~ particularly warming the food.

Assuming that your dog has been checked out by your veterinarian and there are no underlying issues, there are a few ways you can renew your dog's interest in his food dish.

Start by gradually adding some variety to your dog's diet. Try adding salt-free chicken or beef broth and a few lightly cooked vegetables to your dog's kibble. This should help rekindle your dog's love with mealtime. Some older dogs also like their food on the watery side. You can achieve this by adding broth to his food. But remember, if you add variety, do it slowly to avoid any digestive upset.

Another great way to increase smell and taste appeal is to warm up the food (careful to check it's not too hot). It instantly becomes more enticing (we apologize for the drool). In fact, it is recommended that food always be brought up to room temperature.
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Thank you “ALL” for your kind thoughts and advice. And I’m sorry for not responding sooner. For the questions, Barney is an English Mastiff and is 7 years old. Before I come down to Mexico he was always cared for by my Vet in Wa. State. And He also had a full check-up before we left (the day before)

Barney’s last Vet visit here was this past Friday, (I’ve been taking him to see MVZ Carlos Barón At Hospital Veterinario Arboledas.) This last check up Barney no longer had a fever and the Kennel Cough was 99% gone and expected to continue to get better. All of the meds were stopped with the exception of vitamin B to help supplement the lack of eating.

We found out that Barney is just no longer trusting anything I give him that’s wrapped around his pills. I had tried cheese and ham both have been his favorite. But we found out if Vela gives it to him he’ll take the pills for her. Barney is mad at me.

He still only is eating 12 oz to 24 oz of meat that’s down from 128 oz to 176 oz a day. The Vet feels a lot of this is from Barney being too warm down here in Mexico. His coat is falling out pretty well, shedding. We can down from Washington where it’s really cool and rainy all the time.

Where I’m at right now in Guad. We have no back or front yard but only a patio for Barney to lay on. Back home his favorite pastime was laying in the grass and watching the birds fly around. He would do that for hours. I’m trying to talk to my new land lord to see if we can move into the house I rented before the 15th of September. It is on ¾ and acre and has a very nice grass yard for Barney. I am hoping this will cheer him up.

I’m sure Barney is missing Brenda Sue, she was the dog that raised him for his 7 years. Then moving from Wa. Barney is missing my brother who was living with us for the past year or more.

But one good thing I am seeing last night is that Barney was playing with Poncho (Vela’s Chocolate Lab.) When I say play Barney sits and uses his head to toss Poncho to the side and to spin him around on his back. Barney had never done this before.

There will be yet another big change for Barney when he and I move from Vela’s apartment in Guadalajara to my new home in Ajijic. Barney once again will not be seeing his friends as much as he wishes (Poncho and Vela). But Vela will be coming out often or I will be bringing Barney into Guad. Often to visit.

For the people that questioned, Benut Butter is one of Barneys favorite flavor and soon as I get to Ajijic I’ll be able to bake his favorite peanut butter dog treats for him again. Vela has told me that I can’t give Barney liver while we are here in the appartment in Guad. As it is Barney passes gas like a football team even without eating liver.

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Sounds as if things are moving forward! Congratulations and best of luck to you both.
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:19 pm

[quote="Grizzy"]The only suggestion I can offer is to have several brands and flavours of canned dog food and maybe some cooked meat in broth (not much spices just the meat and bones and water) and have Vela try to feed him every hour or so.
As you know, I moved here with my elderly, sick cat and have to feed, medicate, IV and pill him numerous times a day and it is heartbreaking to see them fade away.

The peanut butter is a good idea, as is wrapping a piece of cheese around the pill. I have some pill pockets that are soft pliable treats you put the meds inside and my cat loves them. I think I have some doggie ones and chicken or salmon flavor. You are welcome to some if it will help and if Barney will eat them willingly.
Poor baby, I hope he recovers fast.

Edited to add that my cat is supposed to be on the Science Diet Renal food only but he won't eat it so he gets whatever he will eat within reason. I try to mix a bit of the SD food in with his fancy feast but it is more important that they eat. Treat the dog not just the disease. If he is losing that much weight feed him anything and everything he will eat. Something I learned is during the heat of the day my cat won't eat much but overnight he is a little food machine. I put a bowl of canned food by the bed overnight and often wake up in the middle of the night to replenish his food. Barney might be reacting to the unusual to him heat and that could affect his appetite. Is he drinking water? [/quote]

I've taken to putting can food down at night (not SD he still will not eat it). At lunch today I found out Barney likes boiled carrots and zucchini but then after that I tried to give him his pills for parasites inside of ham slices and he just spits it out.

I think it’s time to open a can of “Spam” what dog can refuse that? I’ll let you know if he eats it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:31 pm

[quote="kipissippi"] What is he? [/quote]

English Mastiff

Last edited by Me&BearDog on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Me&BearDog wrote:
kipissippi wrote:What is he?

English Mastiff

Sent you a PM
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Me&BearDog wrote:
kipissippi wrote: What is he?

English Mastiff

Gorgeous. When you get settled you might think about getting him his own dog. Very Happy Take him to one of the shelters and let him pick out the one he likes best. What about a sprinkler or just wetting him down good? Maybe a kiddie swimming pool?
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top