INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

dog leashes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

dog leashes

Post by Trevor "poncho" Armstrong on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:16 pm

We had a really bad night as when we were coming home my wife hit a dog, we tried to save him but he died. This was a dog with no tags and probally a street dog, but it made me think about people who dont have their dogs on leashes as they are walking them and how at any moment that dog could run off and possibly get hurt. This drives me f@#kin nuts and if you love your pets then put them on leashes! Where i live there are a couple of people that do this and tomorow i will show them were i had to bury this poor dog, maybe that will change their minds. The other problem is if i have my dog on a leash, and their dog comes up to mine and they dont like each other, and my dog hurts theres, thats their problem, dont blame my dog (and if they say because its a rottie, i will lose it!) Anyways, sorry to rant, but it was a shitty night, and we are dog lovers so it was hard to see this dog die. Love your animals Very Happy
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : sarcastic s.o.b

Back to top Go down

Re: dog leashes

Post by ferret on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Sorry for your experience. I would be devastated if I hit any animal and I echo your thoughts about leashes. I'm afraid it's probably not going to happen.
Thank you for giving the dog a final resting place and for stopping and being with it at the end.
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor "poncho" Armstrong on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43 pm

Thanks ferret. We put him in the van and tried to get him to the vets so we called the emergency number and they were going to meet us there but he died in the van. He ran across the highway just north of the pemex going north towards guad. My wife is shaken up but we couldn't just leave him there. he was a pretty big black lab, beautiful dog, such a shame.
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : sarcastic s.o.b

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:15 am

That has happened to me twice in my life and I don't think there is anything more devastating. Keep telling your wife it wasn't her fault, doggies don't understand about cars, and it was an accident.

You're right about trying to get people to confine their animals, but probably won't happen anytime soon here. It IS better here tho, I've seen great improvement over all the years I've been coming to this country.

Know that you were kind humanitarians and you did everything that could be done.
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:23 am

A nasty business that. It happened to us once on the periferico which was jammed, there was no way to stop and help. We felt a bit ill for days.

There are so many situations here which are scary. Bicycles at night with no lights or reflectors.

On thursday I saw two people with white canes crossing the carretera together, another scary thought.

No leashes. It's too bad that people don't take better care of their pets. On the other hand the little fellow could have been an escape artist.
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:51 am

Over on TOB, people were celebrating the law now in force about reducing cruelty to animals. Great. Except the last provision of the law is about keeping the dog on a leash for its and others' safety. You think that line meant a thing?
Hah. Anytime I walk on the Ajijic malecon, dozens of unleashed dogs are wandering about; on the malecon, in the park and wherever. The owners carry the leashes.
Entitlement : isn't it wonderful? cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by joec on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:30 am

gringal wrote:Over on TOB, people were celebrating the law now in force about reducing cruelty to animals. Great. Except the last provision of the law is about keeping the dog on a leash for its and others' safety. You think that line meant a thing?
Hah. Anytime I walk on the Ajijic malecon, dozens of unleashed dogs are wandering about; on the malecon, in the park and wherever. The owners carry the leashes.
Entitlement : isn't it wonderful? cheers

This is Mexico, no one will enforce that law. In our Community our By Laws state that you can choose to have your dog leashed or use voice commands. Personally I think voice commands are BS.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:56 am

As I said, John.......it's all about a sense of entitlement. Gringos as so special that we can pick and choose which laws to obey.
And of course, enforcement doesn't happen often, as we all know. Nothing new there.
Of course, when we get a big fat ticket from the Policia from "choosing" to run a red light......that's another matter. pirat

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Now I don’t mean to discredit what anyone has said because it’s very important however to lighten the mood a bit, when in the Hawaiian Islands, on a fairly remote popular beach, there was a dog on a leash and the dog carried the leash in his mouth. I laughed for days, still do.

Rules can’t possibly cover all situations; it’s the responsibility of each of us to try to do what is right and step up to the plate, and for those that have been a victim to understand if the wrong was intentional. Shit happens in life and trying to blame other for this is just irresponsible. Be of kind heart or mean spirit, what comes around, goes around.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Quoting John: "This is Mexico, no one will enforce that law. In our Community our By Laws state that you can choose to have your dog leashed or use voice commands. Personally I think voice commands are BS."

While you may think that voice commands are BS, I have seen way too many examples of dogs being trained using either voice commands or even hand commands to believe otherwise. In fact, some of us would probably behave better on this forum if we had been properly trained using voice or hand commands? HA!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:20 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Quoting John: "This is Mexico, no one will enforce that law. In our Community our By Laws state that you can choose to have your dog leashed or use voice commands. Personally I think voice commands are BS."

While you may think that voice commands are BS, I have seen way too many examples of dogs being trained using either voice commands or even hand commands to believe otherwise. In fact, some of us would probably behave better on this forum if we had been properly trained using voice or hand commands? HA!

I see you can't post without your usual nasty sarcasm and nothing worthwhile to say. jajajaja...........

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:25 pm

John
It all depends how the dog is trained . We once trained a boxer and took him everywhere without a leash. When I say everywhere, I mean downtown LA. and other crowded places. He heeled perfectly and never disobeyed. It took 3 months of daily work to train him that way but we never needed a leash..I wish I could say the same about the rest of the dogs we had after that one..
Well trained dogs can be without a leash but you do not see trained dogs that way very often.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:39 pm

Quoting John: "I see you can't post without your usual nasty sarcasm and nothing worthwhile to say. jajajaja......"

John, please let me give you a lesson in the use of the English language: when one uses the phrase "some of us", that generally means that the poster are including themselves in the equation! Given that little tidbit, I don't see any nasty sarcasm but I do see reality. Like many on this forum, I have been raised around dogs all my life and I can be very appreciative when I am exposed to animals with superior training and skills. Kind of like when one is exposed to children who have actually been raised properly!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by angela04101 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:59 am

I live in a quiet neighborhood in Riberas, low traffic, and when I take my dogs out for a leashless run, it's for better exercise. I am always right behind them and they do well with voice commands. On the way back, when they're less peppy and get too distracted by interesting smells, I leash them. But I would never take them unleashed into crowded areas, that's just asking for trouble.

angela04101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top